DCA is seeking to recruit a competent, experienced and motivated Kenyan National for the position of Finance Officer. The position is Nairobi based - with frequent travel to DCA Kenya and partner counties of operation - and reports to the Head of Finance & Support Services(HoFSS) in Kenya**.**
The overall objective of the position is to monitor and oversee DCA and partner-led projects, handling budgets, quality assurance of budgets and reports, and providing financial reports overseeing accounts, and ensuring office finances are up to date and run in an efficient and appropriate way according to donor requirements and DCA internal procedures. In addition, the Finance Officer will ensure that grants are fully implemented in compliance to donor regulations and DCA requirements and donor reporting. The Finance Officer will develop budget management tool(s) and conduct training(s) to improve efficiency and donor reporting and compliance for DCA budget holders and partner finance and programme staff.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Budget and Grants Management
- Maintain a complete financial knowledge of the grant portfolio in the country office.
- Assist in the preparation and analysis of the annual and mid-term budget of the country office, as well as re-forecasts, as needed.
- Prepare and analyse monthly Budget Vs Actuals (BvA) reports; regularly update spending plans in collaboration with the HoFSS and the APMs
- Assist in preparing donor budgets and donor reports.
- Participate in and contribute to grant opening and closing meetings.
Country Office Annual Operating Budget
- Under the direct supervision of the HoFSS, assist in preparing the Country Office annual budget following DCA’s standard format to meet the required timelines.
- Ensure regular update of the annual budget that will serve as a guide for all new donor proposals as well as support in times of rapid growth and/or funding reductions to advise timely management decisions.
- Provide recommendations for funding shortfall and / or coverage for each component of the annual budget.
New proposal Development
- Work with relevant DCA and partner programme staff to prepare new donor budgets under the direct supervision of the HoFSS.
- Under the mentorship of the HoFSS, conduct a detailed preparation of existing grant budget revisions ensuring that all costs are covered and are not under/over budgeted in addition to accurate use of DCA and donor budget formats.
Grant Management & Reporting
- Prepare monthly Budget Versus Actual (BVA) reports and distribute on time.
- Provide monthly analysis for the HoFSS per grant after each month closing and provide recommendation for the budget holders to ensure accurate spending and inform adaptive / corrective action.
- Review project spending plans and advise relevant staff on spending status and ask for feedback on all over/under spending.
- Prepare and update spending plans for all active grants in coordination with the appropriate budget holders.
- Review and update the commitments lists from Supply chain, Admin& Human Resources to be included in monthly BVAs.
- Participate in the periodic Grant review, opening and closing meetings and present the spending status.
- Provide support and feedback to Operations and Program Coordinators and Managers for all questions regarding the BVAs.
- In compliance with donor requirements propose and prepare adjustments entries, attaching all supporting documents for finance records and posting into DCA’s accounting system.
- Prepare donor financial reports for all grants for review by the HoFSS. Ensure that reports comply to donor reporting formats and are submitted as per contractual requirements.
Audit & administration
- Participate in programme audit and ensure all grants are audited as per the donors’ rules and regulations.
- Conduct pre-audit review meetings to ensure that DCA is audit ‘ready’.
- Ensure that any actions or recommendations included in management letters resulting from any audits are followed up internally and reconciled.
- Upload signed copies of programme audit reports on intranet.
- Upload other relevant finance documents on intranet.
- Ensure compliance with donor regulations, DCA rules and local government regulations.
Staff support and training
- Assist the HoFSS in conducting regular training sessions for DCA and partner staff on budget management and donor regulations, targeting programme, operations and finance staff.
- Provide assistance with requests from DCA headquarters as directed by International Finance Unit
- Any other duties as assigned by the HoFSS and DCA Group Finance and GPRM colleagues. The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting (or related degree).
- Certified Accountant Qualification coupled with eight years’ relevant experience will be considered in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum five years of progressive international practical experience in financial management.
- At least three years of experience working with INGOs.
- Highly collaborative and able to establish positive working relationships with senior level management and all other stakeholders to maximize cooperation and productivity.
- Must be able to maintain highest level of confidentiality regarding work-related information and data.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven experience in managing budgets of varying sizes.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel.
- Experience working with Automated accounting and Finance Software.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment and a good team player.
- Prior work experience in finance management of Danida, EU, Norad and DG ECHO funded development programmes.
DanChurchAid (DCA) supports the poorest in the world in their struggle for a dignified life and helps people in need. We provide emergency relief in disaster-stricken areas and long-term assistance in the poor regions to create a more equitable and sustainable world. For more information on DCA, please visit www.danchurchaid.org
DCA offers: The position is for a period of two years with a three-month probation period. DCA offers a salary package (salary, insurance, and benefits) in accordance to experience and DCA Kenya HR Manual.
How to apply
Apply online through: https://dca.career.emply.com/en/national-positions
Any published closing dates are estimated. We aim to fill this vacancy as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate, and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to apply as early as possible.
The deadline for applications is at COB on 6th December 2023
Only online applications will be accepted.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, abilities or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. DCA conducts an anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment with us. Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding Policy.