6 days ago
Head Of Manufacturing Ekaterra Tea Kenya Plc
PURPOSE OF ROLEThe Head of Manufacturing is responsible for overseeing all aspects of production; Including planning and forecasting for production, asset care, efficiency improvement initiatives, delivery of quality & SHE and effective dep...
PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Head of Manufacturing is responsible for overseeing all aspects of production; Including planning and forecasting for production, asset care, efficiency improvement initiatives, delivery of quality & SHE and effective deployment of associated resources within a safe and secure environment. Underpinning this is the implementation of robust capability building for staff and embed a culture of sustained high performance.
- Lead factory operations/manufacturing activities to deliver manufacturing targets including service, costs, productivity, quality, innovation, and occupational safety, health & environment.
- Coordinate production planning to process all the available green leaf to the highest quality standards at the lowest cost through optimization of production resources including labour, energy, water etc.
- Ensure smooth day-to-day delivery of utilities (firewood, steam, water, and electricity) in the factory and villages.
Technology and Asset Care
- Propose, obtain the necessary approvals, and implement the necessary capital investment to meet the desired productivity, quality, safety, environmental and cost targets.
- Ensure that the technical standards of all manufacturing and non-manufacturing fixed assets are maintained to ensure high level of customer service and quality targets are achieved at optimal cost.
Safety, Health, Environment, RA
- Ensure compliance with the ekaterra Safety, Health & Environment policy, framework standards, and occupational health and safety legislation in the factory.
- Ensure permits to work are issued in line with company SHE policies.
- Ensure standard operating procedures and specific work instructions are adhered to and reviewed regularly to ensure they remain up to date.
- Collaborate with the Quality Assurance team to ensure quality standards are achieved.
- Implement the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) system in the factory.
- Ensure incoming raw materials meet set quality standards.
- Ensure compliance of Food Safety Standards
- Co-ordinate and direct Quality Management in line with QA systems and GMP.
- Ensure the production of quality made tea is in line with customer/consumer specifications.
- Ensure hourly tea tasking is done and invoice tea samples are preserved.
- Ensure finished products are regularly inspected to ensure they meet established quality standards.
- Initiates and implement quality improvement plans and activities in the factory in liaison with the quality manager.
- Ensure accurate daily, weekly, and monthly production records and tea returns are maintained at all times.
- Control direct budgetary expenses through resource allocation and utilization in the factories.
- Monitor production key performance indicators of the factory; generate daily, weekly, and monthly reports.
- Manage the working capital efficiently to deliver production cost and inventory targets.
- Flag redundant/obsolete assets to the Procurement and Finance managers for disposal.
- Coordinate implementation of WCM to achieve world class standards through effective implementation of World Class.
- Implement Good Manufacturing Practices in all sections of manufacture in the production shifts.
- Oversee the implementation of the requirements of Rain Forest Alliance.
- Lead HR policy deployment and implementation on sites, including management of employee relations.
- Keep factory managers and workers engaged and motivated to continually achieve factory targets.
- Ensure that the factory teams achieve agreed work targets and standards and hold them accountable for the same.
- Develop the skills and competencies of direct reports and other factory employees through on-the-job training, coaching, and mentoring to improve their effectiveness.
- Ensure all statutory requirements including legislation, regulations, Union collective bargaining agreements, and ekaterra policies and standards are adhered to at all times.
- Communicates upwards/downwards/peers in the factory to ensure smooth flow of information.
- Implement agreed welfare programs and attend planned meetings ensuring completion of agreed actions.
- Keep abreast with all new technology covering tea making, market, packing, maintenance, transport, and energy usage and make proposals for implementation where appropriate.
- Develop and implement innovative strategies to improve factory performance.
- Ensure manufacturing trials are done and projects implemented as required from time to time.
- Collate and document innovative ideas for the factory and capture all improvement proposals from the shop floor.
- Implementation and follow-up on improvement ideas on the shop floor.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bsc. Degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Food Technology.
- At least 10 years experience in food processing/production or engineering management role(s).
- Qualifications and experience in Quality/Food Safety, HSE management within a factory environment.
- Postgraduate qualifications in Business Administration or Management is desirable.
- Experience in leading and keeping large and diverse teams motivated and engaged.
- Ability to make decisions that have a technical and human component in high-pressure situations.
- Experience In working within a unionized environment and using negotiation and mediation skills as well as the ability to predict and anticipate situations that may lead to labor-related tensions and unrest and take actions to mitigate them.
- Understanding of World Class Manufacturing (WCM) methodology as well as Rainforest Alliance requirements and their application in the factory.
- Ability to manage the manufacturing budget to keep the cost of production within agreed targets